Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hollywood Nobody, by Lisa Samson.

Scotty Dawn, fifteen, cheese lover, homeschooled, quirky teenager. Scotty travels with her vegan mother, who insists Scotty calls her Charley. They live in an old RV called Y, and Charley is a food stylist for, typically, low-budget films. 


On the way to their most recent movie, Scotty starts a blog, Hollywood Nobody, about the ins and outs of the stars she spends her days with. Charley's secrets gradually begin to trickle out, and Scotty wonders if the things she's always believed in really were true. 

I really, really, really liked this book. Scotty was so easy to relate too, and she made a very likeable narrator. I enjoyed the addition of the blog posts, but, in my opinion, the negative comments seemed somewhat forced and unrealistic. I've been blogging for nearly two years and I have never once gotten a negative comment. Honestly, it's something I'm kinda looking forward too.

So the blog aspect of it: I really enjoyed that. It was fun to read about another teenager with a blog, and how that figured into her life. This book is Christian fiction, and I agree with this review that says the religious aspect seemed forced. I liked the relationship with Seth, although it was a little odd.

All in all, I loved it! (and the cover! not a fan of covers with faces, but this one totally pulled it off.)

4 comments:

  1. I hate covers with faces, they always look so cheap, but i agree, this one is cute. what a unique book idea. of course you've never had a negative comment. your posts are awesome. I could leave you a random one sometime, if you'd like. When are you going to review Sapphique and the Hunger Games, or have you reviewed them already?
    LF

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should check out this blog. She shares our affinity with no faces on covers. :) http://thatcovergirl.wordpress.com/

    Please do! And it would be even better if you left it under anon, and then I can get all ticked off and blog about it, and then my loyal followers will get all ticked off because WHO WOULD DARE SAY SUCH A THING? and you can be all like, I'm so sorry Katie, I can't believe someone would be so mean!

    It would just be a lot of fun. :)

    I haven't yet, but I'll be sure to do so very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read one of Lisa Samson bpk. Good book

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the first I've read of hers, but I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete