Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Picture of Dorian Gray

The story of a beautiful young man who becomes obsessed with his own beauty. When he sees a life-sized painting of himself, he declares that he wished the painting would show all signs of age and sins, and he remains young.

This book was hard to put down. You wanted to find out what happened to Dorian in the end and if he ended up destroying the picture. Dorian was a fascinating character. Talk about a real case of Narcissism. I think, that, even at the beginning of the book I distrusted him, and he seemed shallow. Not shallow like his character was written shallowly, but he, Dorian, didn't have a very deep grasp of life.

Oscar Wilde is (was? I think he's dead) really a good writer. I laughed the whole time I was reading the Importance of Being Earnest. Even though the Picture of Dorian Gray is very different, Lord Henry really reminded me of Algernon.*

I enjoyed it, and I was happy with the ending, it really made me think. You should read this book!



*Algernon is one of the main characters in the Importance of Being Earnest. Read this play. It is so funny. (funny, like, dry English wit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment