Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Paperdoll Blog Party Day FIVE!

Natalie Lloyd's book begins in the window of a little shop, in the faces of generic paperdolls with the same flat smile. The story of redemption and hope straight from a well in Samaria begins with an empty, lonely woman confronted by a love she'd never known.
"All these ads, images and paper pages rush together like a whisper in my soul. They tell me something is missing. That if I have this, I’ll feel complete. That if only I were that girl, then my life would be full. Suddenly, all these things meant to enhance my life become my life. If you were sitting across from me drinking coffee, I would tell you what I keep telling myself: I’m so tired of all this noise telling the kind of woman I should become. I’m tired of a standard that always changes. I believe beauty is so much more attainable and real than what we wear, or what we weigh, or how we look. I would tell you that I believe there is a legitimate passion I’m meant to fight for in my lifetime-a reason for my being here at this moment in history. All this fake is driving me crazy. I want real love. I want real beauty. I’m thinking you probably do, too."

Natalie tells the story of Sam, the Samaritan woman who had a life changing encounter with Jesus. At this time in her life, Sam was a paperdoll. She was searching for meaning and love in all the wrong places. When she met Jesus, all of that changed.

Natalie writes about Sam's story and how it's so very relevant in our lives. We go searching for fulfillment in wells all around us, in things that the world tells us will make us happy, and just like Sam, we come up empty.

It's really hard for me to write this, to put into words exactly how much this book has changed the way I look at things. Natalie is so honest and real, and this book reads like a conversation with an older sister. It's genuine, it comes straight from her heart.

For me, this book comes down to love. It comes down to how big God's crazy, mind boggling love is. It comes down to how God wants us to know that love, and wants us to live like we are loved.

You can find me here. Don't forget to enter in the giveaway! Just a few more days!

4 comments:

  1. thanks Katie. but not just for this post but for putting all this together. you renewed and restored what this book did for me all those months ago. thanks. you're super mondo awesome.
    LF

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww you're so welcome! that is such a sweet comment :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was great Katie, wonderful wonderful wonderful!

    PB

    ReplyDelete